Desiree Louise Plata
Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5209
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
The focus of my work is on improving the development of novel chemicals and engineered systems to include environmental objectives, along with traditional performance and cost metrics. In particular, I seek to (1) predict and mitigate environmental damage through physiochemical understanding of material reactivity, prognostic fate models, and geochemical analyses, and (2) design benign syntheses via mechanistic understanding of chemical reactions used in industrial processes. Currently, I am excited about carbon-based nanomaterials and energy harvesting technologies.
- CEE 691: Independent Study: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 890: Special Readings in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Jackson, RB; Down, A; Phillips, NG; Ackley, RC; Cook, CW; Plata, DL; Zhao, K, Natural gas pipeline leaks across Washington, DC., Environmental Science & Technology, vol 48 no. 3 (2014), pp. 2051-2058 [abs].
- Plata, DL; Ferguson, PL; Westerhoff, P, Express it in numbers: efforts to quantify engineered nanoparticles in environmental matrices advance., Environmental Science & Technology, vol 46 no. 22 (2012), pp. 12243-12245 [10.1021/es302789n] [abs].
- Plata, DL; Reddy, CM; Gschwend, PM, Thermogravimetry-mass spectrometry for carbon nanotube detection in complex mixtures., Environmental Science & Technology, vol 46 no. 22 (2012), pp. 12254-12261 [10.1021/es203198x] [abs].
- Wiesner, MR; Plata, DL, Environmental, health and safety issues: Incinerator filters nanoparticles, Nature Nanotechnology, vol 7 no. 8 (2012), pp. 487-488 [10.1038/nnano.2012.133] [abs].
- Nessim, GD; Seita, M; Plata, DL; OBrien, KP; Hart, AJ; Meshot, ER; Reddy, CM; Gschwend, PM; Thompson, CV, Precursor gas chemistry determines the crystallinity of carbon nanotubes synthesized at low temperature, Carbon, vol 49 no. 3 (2011), pp. 804-810 [10.1016/j.carbon.2010.10.018] [abs].