Desiree Louise Plata
Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: Box 90287, 127B Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5209
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
The focus of my work is on improving the development of novel chemicals and engineered systems to include environmental objectives, along with traditional performance and cost metrics. In particular, I seek to (1) predict and mitigate environmental damage through physiochemical understanding of material reactivity, prognostic fate models, and geochemical analyses, and (2) design benign syntheses via mechanistic understanding of chemical reactions used in industrial processes. Currently, I am excited about carbon-based nanomaterials and energy harvesting technologies.
- CEE 691: Independent Study: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 890: Special Readings in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Shi, W; Li, J; Polsen, ES; Oliver, CR; Zhao, Y; Meshot, ER; Barclay, M; Fairbrother, DH; Hart, AJ; Plata, DL, Oxygen-promoted catalyst sintering influences number density, alignment, and wall number of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes., Nanoscale, vol 9 no. 16 (2017), pp. 5222-5233 [10.1039/c6nr09802a] [abs].
- Shi, W; Xue, K; Meshot, ER; Plata, DL, The carbon nanotube formation parameter space: data mining and mechanistic understanding for efficient resource use, Green Chemistry, vol 19 no. 16 (2017), pp. 3787-3800 [10.1039/C7GC01421J] [abs].
- O’Connor, MP; Zimmerman, JB; Anastas, PT; Plata, DL, A Strategy for Material Supply Chain Sustainability: Enabling a Circular Economy in the Electronics Industry through Green Engineering, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, vol 4 no. 11 (2016), pp. 5879-5888 [10.1021/acssuschemeng.6b01954] [abs].
- Hoelzer, K; Sumner, AJ; Karatum, O; Nelson, RK; Drollette, BD; O'Connor, MP; D'Ambro, EL; Getzinger, GJ; Ferguson, PL; Reddy, CM; Elsner, M; Plata, DL, Indications of Transformation Products from Hydraulic Fracturing Additives in Shale-Gas Wastewater., Environmental Science & Technology, vol 50 no. 15 (2016), pp. 8036-8048 [10.1021/acs.est.6b00430] [abs].
- Liggio, J; Li, S-M; Hayden, K; Taha, YM; Stroud, C; Darlington, A; Drollette, BD; Gordon, M; Lee, P; Liu, P; Leithead, A; Moussa, SG; Wang, D; O'Brien, J; Mittermeier, RL; Brook, JR; Lu, G; Staebler, RM; Han, Y; Tokarek, TW; Osthoff, HD; Makar, PA; Zhang, J; Plata, DL; Gentner, DR, Oil sands operations as a large source of secondary organic aerosols., Nature, vol 534 no. 7605 (2016), pp. 91-94 [10.1038/nature17646] [abs].