James L Hench
Associate Professor of OceanographyResearch in my lab focuses on fluid dynamics in the coastal ocean and its effects on transport processes. We use field measurements, computational models, and theoretical analyses to understand fundamental physical processes in these systems. We also work extensively on interdisciplinary problems that have a significant physical component to better understand the effects of water motion on the geochemistry, biology, and ecology of shallow marine systems.
Much of our research is on coral reef hydrodynamics and our lab leads the Physical Oceanographic component of the Moorea Coral Reef LTER project
Current projects include: 1) wave-driven circulation and exchange in coral reef, lagoon, and pass systems; 2) extreme events and their effects on coral reef systems; 3) understanding the effects of rough bottoms such as corals on circulation and scalar mixing; 4) the impact of stratification on vertical mixing in a highly stratified wind-driven estuary; 5) larval transport around a coral reef island; 6) sponge excurrents; and 7) the effects of wave forcing on corallivory.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Oceanography
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: 135 Duke Marine Lab Rd, Beaufort, NC 28516
- Office Phone: (650) 759-6639
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2002
- M.S. Stanford University, 1992
- B.S. North Carolina State University, 1991
Environmental fluid mechanics, shallow-water physical oceanography, physical-biological interactions in marine environments, and marine technology
- ENVIRON 370A: Introduction to Physical Oceanography
- ENVIRON 391A: Independent Study
- ENVIRON 393A: Research Independent Study
- ENVIRON 476A: Data and Time Series Analysis in Marine Sciences
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects
- ENVIRON 770A: Introduction to Physical Oceanography
- ENVIRON 876A: Data and Time Series Analysis in Marine Sciences
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
- EOS 370A: Introduction to Physical Oceanography
- EOS 393A: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Sailor rescued: How do you survive 66 days lost at sea? (Apr 6, 2015 | BBC News )
- Casella, E; Collin, A; Harris, D; Ferse, S; Bejarano, S; Parravicini, V; Hench, JL; Rovere, A, Mapping coral reefs using consumer-grade drones and structure from motion photogrammetry techniques, Coral Reefs, vol 36 no. 1 (2017), pp. 269-275 [10.1007/s00338-016-1522-0] [abs].
- Knee, KL; Crook, ED; Hench, JL; Leichter, JJ; Paytan, A, Assessment of Submarine Groundwater Discharge (SGD) as a Source of Dissolved Radium and Nutrients to Moorea (French Polynesia) Coastal Waters, Estuaries and Coasts, vol 39 no. 6 (2016), pp. 1651-1668 [10.1007/s12237-016-0108-y] [abs].
- Davies, N; Field, D; Gavaghan, D; Holbrook, SJ; Planes, S; Troyer, M; Bonsall, M; Claudet, J; Roderick, G; Schmitt, RJ; Zettler, LA; Berteaux, V; Bossin, HC; Cabasse, C; Collin, A; Deck, J; Dell, T; Dunne, J; Gates, R; Harfoot, M; Hench, JL; Hopuare, M; Kirch, P; Kotoulas, G; Kosenkov, A; Kusenko, A; Leichter, JJ; Lenihan, H; Magoulas, A; Martinez, N; Meyer, C; Stoll, B; Swalla, B; Tartakovsky, DM; Murphy, HT; Turyshev, S; Valdvinos, F; Williams, R; Wood, S, Simulating social-ecological systems: the Island Digital Ecosystem Avatars (IDEA) consortium., GigaScience, vol 5 (2016) [10.1186/s13742-016-0118-5] [abs].
- Guo, T; Capra, A; Troyer, M; Gruen, A; Brooks, AJ; Hench, JL; Schmitt, RJ; Holbrook, SJ; Dubbini, M, ACCURACY ASSESSMENT OF UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAMMETRIC THREE DIMENSIONAL MODELLING FOR CORAL REEFS, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, vol XLI-B5 (2016), pp. 821-828 [10.5194/isprsarchives-XLI-B5-821-2016] [abs].
- Lenihan, HS; Hench, JL; Holbrook, SJ; Schmitt, RJ; Potoski, M, Hydrodynamics influence coral performance through simultaneous direct and indirect effects, Ecology, vol 96 no. 6 (2015), pp. 1540-1549 [10.1890/14-1115.1] [abs].