John D Albertson
Adjunct Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
John Albertson received his B.S. in civil engineering from SUNY Buffalo; an MBA in Finance from the University of Hartford; a Masters in hydrology from Yale; and a Ph.D. in hydrologic science from the University of California at Davis. Before coming to Duke, he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Albertson's research interests include surface hydrology and boundary layer meteorology; semi-arid vegetation dynamics; Large eddy simulation of turbulence and turbulent transport; urban air quality; hydroclimatic controls on infectious disease dynamics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in the Division of Environmental Sciences and Policy
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: Ciemas, Rm 2465, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5468
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of California at Davis, 1996
Surface hydrology and boundary layer meteorology; semi-arid vegetation dynamics; Large eddy simulation of turbulence and turbulent transport; urban air quality; hydroclimatic controls on infectious disease dynamics.
- CEE 780: Internship
- Yin, J; Albertson, JD; Porporato, A, A probabilistic description of entrainment instability for cloud-topped boundary-layer models, The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society (2016) [10.1002/qj.2948] [abs].
- Zi, T; Kumar, M; Kiely, G; Lewis, C; Albertson, J, Simulating the spatio-temporal dynamics of soil erosion, deposition, and yield using a coupled sediment dynamics and 3D distributed hydrologic model, Environmental Modelling & Software, vol 83 (2016), pp. 310-325 [10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.06.004] [abs].
- Albertson, JD; Harvey, T; Foderaro, G; Zhu, P; Zhou, X; Ferrari, S; Amin, MS; Modrak, M; Brantley, H; Thoma, ED, A Mobile Sensing Approach for Regional Surveillance of Fugitive Methane Emissions in Oil and Gas Production., Environmental Science & Technology, vol 50 no. 5 (2016), pp. 2487-2497 [10.1021/acs.est.5b05059] [abs].
- Foster-Wittig, TA; Thoma, ED; Albertson, JD, Estimation of point source fugitive emission rates from a single sensor time series: A conditionally-sampled Gaussian plume reconstruction, Atmospheric Environment, vol 115 (2015), pp. 101-109 [10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.05.042] [abs].
- Rigby, JR; Yin, J; Albertson, JD; Porporato, A, Approximate Analytical Solution to Diurnal Atmospheric Boundary-Layer Growth Under Well-Watered Conditions, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol 156 no. 1 (2015), pp. 73-89 [10.1007/s10546-015-0018-8] [abs].
Honors and Awards
- USDA-ARS, Natural Resource Institute Outside Collaborator of the Year Award (2000)
- NASA, New Investigator Program (NIP) in the Earth Sciences Award (1999)
- Packard Fellowship Nominee for University of Virginia (1998, 1999)
- AGU, Hydrology Section, Outstanding Student Paper Award (1996)
- NASA Graduate Student Fellowship in Global Change Research (1994-1996)
- Hutchinson Fellowship, Institute of Biospheric Studies, Yale University (1992-1993)
- Charles Wood Scholarship, Yale University (1991-1993)
- Tibor T. Polgar Fellowship, Hudson River Foundation (1992)
- Northeast Utilities Chairman's Award for Outstanding Performance (1989)
Professional and Service Activities
- Water Resources Research, Associate Editor (2000-2003)
- National Science Foundation, Hydrology Grant Selection Panel, Member, (2001, 2002, 2006)
- Journal of Applied Meteorology, Associate Editor, (1998-2002)
- AGU, Committee on Large Scale Field Experimentation, Chair, (1996-2001)
- AGU, AIP, and AMS Journals, Frequent Manuscript Reviewer
- NSF, NASA, DOE, Proposal Reviewer
- AGU, Committee on Student Paper Awards, Member, (1999-2002)
- EPA/NSF, Water and Watersheds Program, Proposal Review Panel Member, (1998, 1999)
- AGU, Convener of several special sessions over past four years
- European Union, Advisor to Project on Volgaâ€™s River Water Resources (1998-2001)
- American Geophysical Union, member
- Irish EPA, Advisor to Project on Eutrophication from Agricultural Sources (2001-2004)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, member
- Chi Epsilon (Civil Engineering Honor Society), member
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of Connecticut