Professor of Eco-hydrology
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Eco-hydrology
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D. University of Padua (Italy), 1997
Research InterestsMy research interests include: understanding, through observations and modelling how the interaction between vegetation species and erosion/deposition processes leads to observed intertidal landforms, vegetation patterns, and biodiversity; development of an observational and a modelling understanding of marsh bio-geomorphic structures responses to changes in surface temperature and CO2 concentration; understanding and modelling plant root biomass allocation strategies as a function of hydrologic regimes; hydrological extreme events under a changing climate; eco-hydrological study and modelling of mosquito dynamics and responses to hydro-meteorological forcings
- CEE 365: Hydrologic and Environmental Data Analysis
- CEE 463L: Water Resources Engineering
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 761: Hydrologic and Environmental Data Analysis
- ENVIRON 322: Hydrologic and Environmental Data Analysis
- ENVIRON 590: Special Topics
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects
- ENVIRON 722: Hydrologic and Environmental Data Analysis
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
- EOS 322: Hydrologic and Environmental Data Analysis
- EOS 393: Research Independent Study
- EOS 590: Special Topics in Earth and Ocean Sciences
- EOS 710S: Bio-geomorphology: The Biophysical Processes Shaping the Earth's Surface
- EOS 722: Hydrologic and Environmental Data Analysis
- EOS 791: Independent Study
In the News
- Coastal Marshes More Resilient to Sea-Level Rise Than Previously Believed (Dec 17, 2015)
- Study Eyes Health Risks Of Drilling And Mining In Peru (Aug 5, 2014)
- Marco Marani comments: Cities prepare for the rising tide (Jan 3, 2014 | CNBC )
- Kakeh, N; Coco, G; Marani, M, On the morphodynamic stability of intertidal environments and the role of vegetation, Advances in Water Resources, vol 93 (2016), pp. 303-314 [10.1016/j.advwatres.2015.11.003] [abs].
- D’Alpaos, A; Marani, M, Reading the signatures of biologic–geomorphic feedbacks in salt-marsh landscapes, Advances in Water Resources, vol 93 (2016), pp. 265-275 [10.1016/j.advwatres.2015.09.004] [abs].
- Ratliff, KM; Braswell, AE; Marani, M, Spatial response of coastal marshes to increased atmospheric CO2., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 112 no. 51 (2015), pp. 15580-15584 [abs].
- Basso, S; Frascati, A; Marani, M; Schirmer, M; Botter, G, Climatic and landscape controls on effective discharge, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 42 no. 20 (2015), pp. 8441-8447 [10.1002/2015GL066014] [abs].
- Pelletier, JD; Brad Murray, A; Pierce, JL; Bierman, PR; Breshears, DD; Crosby, BT; Ellis, M; Foufoula-Georgiou, E; Heimsath, AM; Houser, C; Lancaster, N; Marani, M; Merritts, DJ; Moore, LJ; Pederson, JL; Poulos, MJ; Rittenour, TM; Rowland, JC; Ruggiero, P; Ward, DJ; Wickert, AD; Yager, EM, Forecasting the response of Earth's surface to future climatic and land use changes: A review of methods and research needs, Earth's Future, vol 3 no. 7 (2015), pp. 220-251 [10.1002/2014EF000290] [abs].