Martin W Doyle
Professor in the Environmental Sciences and Policy Division
Martin is on leave from Duke University for 2016 while he serves as Senior Conservation Finance Fellow at the Department of Interior’s Natural Resources Investment Center.Martin Doyle is Professor of River Science and Policy, and the Director of Water Policy at the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions. His work focuses on the science and management of rivers throughout the United States, and he is writing a book on the history of America's rivers. He has received a Guggenheim Fellowship (2009) and a National Science Foundation Early Career Award (2005), and for bridging environmental science and policy, in 2009 was named the inaugural Frederick J Clarke Scholar by the US Army Corps of Engineers. More information on research program: http://sites.nicholas.duke.edu/martindoyle/
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Environmental Sciences and Policy Division
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 317A LSRC, Box 90328, Durham, NC 27708-0328
- Office Phone: (919) 613-8026
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 2002
Research InterestsRiver processes (hydraulics, hydrology, sediment transport, ecology) River policy (Clean Water Act, hydropower relicensing, large river management)
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellowship. John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. 2009
- ENERGY 811: Business and Environment
- ENVIRON 393: Research Independent Study
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects
- ENVIRON 621: Water Resources, Finance and Planning
- ENVIRON 626: River Processes
- ENVIRON 740: Water Resources Planning and Management
- ENVIRON 811: Business and Environment
- ENVIRON 898: Program Area Seminar
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
In the News
- Martin Doyle Named Fellow of Interior Department's Natural Resources Center (Dec 15, 2015)
- 21st Century Solution to 21st Century Droughts (Jun 29, 2015 | the Contra Costa Times )
- Lauren Patterson, Martin Doyle: Water and big data -- 21st century solution to 21st century droughts (Jun 29, 2015 | Contra Costa Times )
- Julie DeMeester, Martin Doyle: Drinking from ‘the cloud’ (Jun 15, 2015 | The Hill )
- Water Quality Trading Can Reduce River Pollution (Sep 23, 2014)
- Robertson, M; BenDor, TK; Lave, R; Riggsbee, A; Ruhl, JB; Doyle, M, Stacking ecosystem services, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol 12 no. 3 (2014), pp. 186-193 [10.1890/110292] [abs].
- Doyle, MW; Lave, R; Robertson, MM; Ferguson, J, River Federalism, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, vol 103 no. 2 (2013), pp. 290-298 [10.1080/00045608.2013.754686] [abs].
- Doyle, MW, Compensatory mitigation for streams under the Clean Water Act, J Amer Water Resources Assoc, vol 48 (2012), pp. 494-509 [abs].
- Doyle, MW, America's Rivers and the American Experiment, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, vol 48 no. 4 (2012), pp. 820-837 [10.1111/j.1752-1688.2012.00652.x] [abs].
- Doyle, MW; Shields, FD, Compensatory Mitigation for Streams Under the Clean Water Act: Reassessing Science and Redirecting Policy, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, vol 48 no. 3 (2012), pp. 494-509 [10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00631.x] [abs].
- Womble, P; Doyle, M, The geography of trading ecosystem services: A case study of wetland and stream compensatory mitigation markets, The Harvard environmental law review : HELR, vol 36 no. 1 (2012), pp. 229-296 [abs].
- Doyle, MW; Bernhardt, ES, What is a stream?, Environmental Science & Technology, vol 45 no. 2 (2011), pp. 354-359 [10.1021/es101273f] [abs].
- Doyle, MW; Ensign, SH, Alternative reference frames in river system science, BioScience (BioOne), vol 59 no. 6 (2009), pp. 499-510 [10.1525/bio.2009.59.6.8] [abs].