Assistant Professor of Watershed Hydrology in the Division of Environmental Sciences and PolicyDr. Mukesh Kumar is an Assistant Professor in the Nicholas School of Environment. He earned his B.Tech in Civil Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur and his PhD in Civil Engineering from Penn State University. His research interests lie in Watershed Hydrology, Groundwater-Surface Water-Atmosphere Interactions, Numerical Modeling of Snow and Hydrologic Processes, GIS-Model Coupling, High Performance Computing Applications and Optimization Methods.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Watershed Hydrology in the Division of Environmental Sciences and Policy
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 681-7837
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Pennsylvania State University, 2009
earth surface processes
global climate change
- CEE 687: Hydrologic Modeling for Water Quantity and Quality Assessment
- CEE 780: Internship
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects
- ENVIRON 768: GIS for Water Quantity and Quality Assessment
- ENVIRON 769: Hydrologic Modeling for Water Quantity and Quality Assessment
- ENVIRON 898: Program Area Seminar
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
In the News
- Study Eyes Health Risks Of Drilling And Mining In Peru (Aug 5, 2014)
- Clark, MP; Fan, Y; Lawrence, DM; Adam, JC; Bolster, D; Gochis, DJ; Hooper, RP; Kumar, M; Leung, LR; Mackay, DS; Maxwell, RM; Shen, C; Swenson, SC; Zeng, X, Improving the representation of hydrologic processes in Earth System Models, Water Resources Research, vol 51 no. 8 (2015), pp. 5929-5956 [10.1002/2015WR017096] [abs].
- Chen, X; Kumar, M; McGlynn, BL, Variations in Streamflow Response to Large Hurricane-Season Storms in a Southeastern U.S. Watershed, Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol 16 no. 1 (2015), pp. 55-69 [10.1175/JHM-D-14-0044.1] [abs].
- Bhatt, G; Kumar, M; Duffy, CJ, A tightly coupled GIS and distributed hydrologic modeling framework, Environmental Modelling & Software, vol 62 (2014), pp. 70-84 [10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.08.003] [abs].
- Hoenke, KM; Kumar, M; Batt, L, A GIS based approach for prioritizing dams for potential removal, Ecological Engineering, vol 64 (2014), pp. 27-36 [10.1016/j.ecoleng.2013.12.009] [abs].
- Maxwell, RM; Putti, M; Meyerhoff, S; Delfs, J-O; Ferguson, IM; Ivanov, V; Kim, J; Kolditz, O; Kollet, SJ; Kumar, M; Lopez, S; Niu, J; Paniconi, C; Park, Y-J; Phanikumar, MS; Shen, C; Sudicky, EA; Sulis, M, Surface-subsurface model intercomparison: A first set of benchmark results to diagnose integrated hydrology and feedbacks, Water Resources Research, vol 50 no. 2 (2014), pp. 1531-1549 [10.1002/2013WR013725] [abs].