Prasad S Kasibhatla
Professor in the Division of Environmental Sciences and PolicyThe overarching theme of my research is to develop a fundamental and quantitative understanding of the factors that determine the chemical composition of the atmosphere. I am particularly interested in delineating natural and anthropogenic impacts on the chemical composition of the atmosphere, and in exploring the potential for these impacts to affect natural ecosystems. My research involves the use of numerical models in conjunction with remote and insitu measurements of atmospheric composition.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Division of Environmental Sciences and Policy
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: Room 5114, Environment Hall, 9 Circuit Drive, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-8075
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Kentucky at Lexington, 1988
- M.S. University of Kentucky at Lexington, 1984
- B.S. University of Bombay, St. Xavier College, 1982
Research InterestsAtmospheric chemistry, Regional and Global Modeling and Atmospheric chemical data analysis
- CEE 665: Atmospheric Chemistry: From Air Pollution to Climate Change
- ENERGY 239: Our Changing Atmosphere: From Air Pollution to Climate Change
- ENVIRON 89S: First-Year Seminar
- ENVIRON 239: Our Changing Atmosphere: From Air Pollution to Climate Change
- ENVIRON 393: Research Independent Study
- ENVIRON 529: Our Changing Atmosphere: From Air Pollution to Climate Change
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects
- ENVIRON 739: Atmospheric Chemistry: From Air Pollution to Climate Change
- ENVIRON 898: Program Area Seminar
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
- ENVIRON 979: DEL: The Science of Climate Change
- ENVIRON 997: Duke Environmental Leadership: Independent Studies and Projects
- Austin, K; Mosnier, A; Pirker, J; McCallum, I; Fritz, S; Kasibhatla, P, Shifting patterns of oil palm driven deforestation in Indonesia and implications for zero-deforestation commitments, Land Use Policy, vol 69 (2017), pp. 41-48 [10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.08.036] [abs].
- Andela, N; Morton, DC; Giglio, L; Chen, Y; van der Werf, GR; Kasibhatla, PS; DeFries, RS; Collatz, GJ; Hantson, S; Kloster, S; Bachelet, D; Forrest, M; Lasslop, G; Li, F; Mangeon, S; Melton, JR; Yue, C; Randerson, JT, A human-driven decline in global burned area., Science, vol 356 no. 6345 (2017), pp. 1356-1362 [10.1126/science.aal4108] [abs].
- Austin, KG; Lee, ME; Clark, C; Forester, BR; Urban, DL; White, L; Kasibhatla, PS; Poulsen, JR, An assessment of high carbon stock and high conservation value approaches to sustainable oil palm cultivation in Gabon, Environmental Research Letters, vol 12 no. 1 (2017), pp. 014005-014005 [10.1088/1748-9326/aa5437] [abs].
- van der Werf, GR; Randerson, JT; Giglio, L; van Leeuwen, TT; Chen, Y; Rogers, BM; Mu, M; van Marle, MJE; Morton, DC; Collatz, GJ; Yokelson, RJ; Kasibhatla, PS, Global fire emissions estimates during 1997–2016, Earth System Science Data, vol 9 no. 2 (2017), pp. 697-720 [10.5194/essd-9-697-2017] [abs].
- Hodzic, A; Kasibhatla, PS; Jo, DS; Cappa, CD; Jimenez, JL; Madronich, S; Park, RJ, Rethinking the global secondary organic aerosol (SOA) budget: stronger production, faster removal, shorter lifetime, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol 16 no. 12 (2016), pp. 7917-7941 [10.5194/acp-16-7917-2016] [abs].