Amilcare M Porporato
Adjunct Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Amilcare Porporato earned a Master Degree in Civil Engineering (summa cum laude) in 1992 and his Ph.D. in 1996 from Polytechnic of Turin. He was appointed Assistant Professor in the Department of Hydraulics of the Polytechnic of Turin, and he moved to Duke University in 2003, where he is now Full Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering with a secondary appointment with the Nicholas School of the Environment.
In June 1996, Porporato received the Arturo Parisatti International Price, awarded by the Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere e Arti. He was Research Associate at the Texas A&M University (USA) in 1998 and Visiting Scholar at Princeton University (USA), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, from 1999 to 2001. In 2008-2009 he was the first Landolt & Cie Visiting Chair in “Innovative Strategies for a sustainable Future” at Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland. He was awarded the 2007 Professor Senol Utku’ award, the 2010 Earl Brown II Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Award, and in 2011 he received a Lagrange fellowship from the Polytechnic of Turin, the CRT bank and the ISI (Institute for
Scientific Interchange). In 2012 he was elected an AGU fellow.
His main research interests regard nonlinear and stochastic dynamical systems, hydrometeorology and soil-atmosphere interaction, soil moisture and plant dynamics, soil biogeochemistry, and ecohydrology.
Porporato has been Editor of Water Resources Research (AGU) (2004-2009), and he is currently editor for Hydrological Processes. He is also member of the editorial board of Advances in Water Resources and the Hydrologic Science Journal. Among other things, he was chairman and convener of the Ecohydrology sessions of the AGU Spring Meeting in 2001 and 2002 and of the EGU in 2004-2006. Porporato has been part of the Italian research groups of Turbulence and Vorticity and of Climate, Soil and Vegetation Interaction, an adviser for real-time forecasting in the Piedmont Region (Italy), and ecohydrology (US National Academy).
Porporato's didactic experience comprises courses in Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulics, Hydraulic Constructions, Statistical and Physical Hydrology, Ecohydrology, Nonlinear Dynamics and Stochastic Processes. He has also been the didactic coordinator for the International School "Hydroaid: Water for Development", co-organized by the Polytechnic of Turin and the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Porporato is author of more than 140 peer-reviewed papers, several publications presented at national and international conferences and invited talks. He is also co-author of the book "Ecohydrology of water controlled ecosystems" (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2004) and the edited the book "Dryland Ecohydrology" (Springer, 2005).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Adjunct Professor in the Division of Environmental Sciences and Policy
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 121 Hudson Hall, Box 90287, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5213
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Polytechnic University of Turin (Italy), 1996
- M.S. Polytechnic University of Turin (Italy), 1992
Near-wall turbulence, nonlinear analysis of hydrologic time series, stochastic soil moisture dynamics and water balance, soil-atmosphere interaction, and ecohydrology, complexity in the environment, sustainable use of soil and water resources.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. American Geophysical Union. 2012
- CEE 686: Ecohydrology
In the News
- Global List of Highly Cited Puts Duke in Top Ten (Nov 19, 2019)
- Duke Faculty Plentiful On ‘Highly Cited’ List (Nov 27, 2018)
- Duke Smart Home experiment makes efficient work of lawn care (May 20, 2016)
- Population Could Outpace Water By Mid-Century (Mar 31, 2015)
- Gandhi, P; Bonetti, S; Iams, S; Porporato, A; Silber, M, A fast–slow model of banded vegetation pattern formation in drylands, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, vol 410 (2020) [10.1016/j.physd.2020.132534] [abs].
- Souza, R; Hartzell, S; Feng, X; Dantas Antonino, AC; de Souza, ES; Cezar Menezes, RS; Porporato, A, Optimal management of cattle grazing in a seasonally dry tropical forest ecosystem under rainfall fluctuations, Journal of Hydrology, vol 588 (2020) [10.1016/j.jhydrol.2020.125102] [abs].
- Wagner, CE; Hooshyar, M; Baker, RE; Yang, W; Arinaminpathy, N; Vecchi, G; Metcalf, CJE; Porporato, A; Grenfell, BT, Climatological, virological and sociological drivers of current and projected dengue fever outbreak dynamics in Sri Lanka., Journal of the Royal Society, Interface, vol 17 no. 167 (2020) [10.1098/rsif.2020.0075] [abs].
- Yin, J; Porporato, A, Radiative effects of daily cycle of cloud frequency in past and future climates, Climate Dynamics, vol 54 no. 3-4 (2020), pp. 1625-1637 [10.1007/s00382-019-05077-5] [abs].
- Feng, X; Thompson, SE; Woods, R; Porporato, A, Quantifying Asynchronicity of Precipitation and Potential Evapotranspiration in Mediterranean Climates, Geophysical Research Letters, vol 46 no. 24 (2019), pp. 14692-14701 [10.1029/2019GL085653] [abs].