Omar M Knio
Edmund T. Pratt Jr. School Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
My research interests encompass computational fluid mechanics, oceanic and atmospheric flows, turbulent flow, physical acoustics, chemically-reactive flow, energetic materials, microfluidic devices, dynamical systems, numerical methods, and asymptotic and stochastic techniques.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Office Location: 144 Hudson Hall, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5344
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1990
Computational fluid mechanics, oceanic and atmospheric flows, turbulent flow, physical acoustics, chemically-reactive flow, energetic materials, microfluidic devices, dynamical systems, numerical methods, and asymptotic and stochastic techniques.
- Dasari, HP; Desamsetti, S; Langodan, S; Attada, R; Kunchala, RK; Viswanadhapalli, Y; Knio, O; Hoteit, I, High-resolution assessment of solar energy resources over the Arabian Peninsula, Applied Energy, vol 248 (2019), pp. 354-371 [10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.04.105] [abs].
- Attada, R; Dasari, HP; Parekh, A; Chowdary, JS; Langodan, S; Knio, O; Hoteit, I, The role of the Indian Summer Monsoon variability on Arabian Peninsula summer climate, Climate Dynamics, vol 52 no. 5-6 (2019), pp. 3389-3404 [10.1007/s00382-018-4333-x] [abs].
- Hittawe, MM; Afzal, S; Jamil, T; Snoussi, H; Hoteit, I; Knio, O, Abnormal events detection using deep neural networks: Application to extreme sea surface temperature detection in the Red Sea, Journal of Electronic Imaging no. 2 (2019) [10.1117/1.JEI.28.2.021012] [abs].
- Attada, R; Dasari, HP; Chowdary, JS; Yadav, RK; Knio, O; Hoteit, I, Surface air temperature variability over the Arabian Peninsula and its links to circulation patterns, International Journal of Climatology, vol 39 no. 1 (2019), pp. 445-464 [10.1002/joc.5821] [abs].
- Wang, T; Lima, RM; Giraldi, L; Knio, OM, Trajectory planning for autonomous underwater vehicles in the presence of obstacles and a nonlinear flow field using mixed integer nonlinear programming, Computers & Operations Research, vol 101 (2019), pp. 55-75 [10.1016/j.cor.2018.08.008] [abs].