James B. Duke Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Wiesner's research interests include membrane processes, nanostructured materials, transport and fate of nanomaterials in the environment, colloidal and interfacial processes, and environmental systems analysis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- James B. Duke Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- W. H. Gardner, Jr. Department Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering, in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Affiliate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Chair of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5292
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University, 1985
- M.S. University of Iowa, 1980
- B.A. Coe College, 1978
Membrane processes, nanostructured materials, transport and fate of nanomaterials in the environment, colloidal and interfacial processes, and environmental systems analysis
Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
Water, Resources and Treatment
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering. National Academy of Engineering. 2015
- AAAS Fellows. American Association for the Advancement of Science, The. 2009
- CEE 393: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 492: Projects in Civil Engineering
- CEE 493: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- CEE 560: Environmental Transport Phenomena
- CEE 564: Physical Chemical Processes in Environmental Engineering
- CEE 890: Special Readings in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering internship/Project Assessment
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Hendren, CO; Lowry, GV; Unrine, JM; Wiesner, MR, A functional assay-based strategy for nanomaterial risk forecasting, Science of the Total Environment, vol 536 (2015), pp. 1029-1037 [10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.06.100] [abs].
- Xie, P; de Lannoy, C-F; Ma, J; Wiesner, MR, Chlorination of polyvinyl pyrrolidone–polysulfone membranes: Organic compound release, byproduct formation, and changes in membrane properties, Journal of Membrane Science, vol 489 (2015), pp. 28-35 [10.1016/j.memsci.2015.03.058] [abs].
- Barton, LE; Auffan, M; Olivi, L; Bottero, J-Y; Wiesner, MR, Heteroaggregation, transformation and fate of CeO2 nanoparticles in wastewater treatment, Environmental Pollution, vol 203 (2015), pp. 122-129 [10.1016/j.envpol.2015.03.035] [abs].
- Carpenter, AW; Laughton, SN; Wiesner, MR, Enhanced Biogas Production from Nanoscale Zero Valent Iron-Amended Anaerobic Bioreactors, Environmental Engineering Science, vol 32 no. 8 (2015), pp. 647-655 [10.1089/ees.2014.0560] [abs].
- Stegemeier, JP; Schwab, F; Colman, BP; Webb, SM; Newville, M; Lanzirotti, A; Winkler, C; Wiesner, MR; Lowry, GV, Speciation Matters: Bioavailability of Silver and Silver Sulfide Nanoparticles to Alfalfa (), Environmental Science & Technology, vol 49 no. 14 (2015), pp. 8451-8460 [10.1021/acs.est.5b01147] [abs].
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1978.
- National Science Foundation Undergraduate Investigator, 1978.
- J.J. Barr Award of the National Association of Water Companies, 1985.
- National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, 1989-1991.
- Association of Environmental Engineering Professors AWWA invited lecturer, 1993.
- Rudolph Hering Medal, Environmental Engineering Division, ASCE, 1995.
- Charles Duncan Award for Scholarship and Teaching, Rice University, 1998.
- North American Membrane Society, Student Research Award (Vladimir Tarabara), 2003.
- AIChE Graduate Research Award for Membrane-Based Separations (Vladimir Tarabara), 2003.
- Pierre de Fermat Laureate and Chair of Excellence, French National Polytechnic Institute, Toulouse, 2004
- AEESP Frontiers in Research Award, 2004
- American Chemical Society
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Water Works Association
- International Water Association
- North American Membrane Society
- Associate Editor, Environmental Engineering Sciences
- Associate Editor, Journal of Environmental Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1993-1999.
- Gubernatorial Appointee, Texas Council on Environmental Technology, 2000 – 2004.
- Scientific Advisory Board Member, European Center for Geosciences and Environment, Aix-en-Provence, France, 2003-present
- Foresight Advisory Board, Suez-Environnement, Paris, France, 2004-present.
- Rapporteur, French Ministry of Research and Education, 2002.
- Consultant, USEPA Science Advisory Board, 1999.
- Scientific Advisory Board Member, International Center for Water, Nancy, France, 1996-present.
- Advisory Committee member, Universidad Nacional de Litoral, Santa Fe, Argentina, 1998.
- Chair, Technical Review Panel of Life Support Systems for Station and Exploration, NASA, 1998.
- Panel member, U.S.E.P.A. Blue Ribbon Panel on evaluating costs of Federal environmental regulations, 1996.
- Committee member, Environmental Engineering Education Task Group, International Association on Water Quality 1994- 1998.
- Founding Chair, American Water Works Association, Research Committee on Membrane Technology, 1988-1992.
- Chair, American Water Work Association, Publications Award Committee, 1995-1997.
- Panel member, Science panel of the Houston Environmental Foresight Committee, 1995.