Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental EngineeringWilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell. Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 121 Hudson Hall, Box 90287, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1922
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g. electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2007
- CEE 421L: Matrix Structural Analysis
- CEE 530: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 701: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 780: Internship
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 524: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- ME 759: Special Readings in Mechanical Engineering
- Urban, M; Guddati, M; Aquino, W; Greenleaf, J, Measurement of carotid artery viscoelasticity in young and older individuals using acoustic radiation force-induced waves and Fourier analysis, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium : [proceedings]. IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (2017) [10.1109/ULTSYM.2017.8092402] [abs].
- Ghosh, S; Zou, Z; Babaniyi, O; Aquino, W; Diaz, MI; Bayat, M; Fatemi, M, Modified error in constitutive equations (MECE) approach for ultrasound elastography., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 142 no. 4 (2017) [10.1121/1.5006911] [abs].
- Astaneh, AV; Urban, MW; Aquino, W; Greenleaf, JF; Guddati, MN, Arterial waveguide model for shear wave elastography: implementation and in vitro validation., Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol 62 no. 13 (2017), pp. 5473-5494 [10.1088/1361-6560/aa6ee3] [abs].
- Zou, Z; Aquino, W; Harari, I, Nitsche's Method For Helmholtz Problems with Embedded Interfaces., International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol 110 no. 7 (2017), pp. 618-636 [10.1002/nme.5369] [abs].
- Zou, Z; Kouri, D; Aquino, W, An adaptive sampling approach for solving PDEs with uncertain inputs and evaluating risk, 19th AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, 2017 (2017) [abs].