Facts & Stats
To investigate, develop, and impart fundamental and advanced engineering knowledge relevant to the field of civil and environmental engineering and emerging global and national challenges. From a foundation of core technical knowledge and inquiry, we provide an experiential exposure to innovative problem solving, research, leadership, and creativity that prepares our graduates for a successful career.
- #6 in the U.S./#11 in the world in environmental science & engineering in the 2016 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ShanghaiRanking)
- #8 in faculty scholarly productivity among U.S. engineering schools in civil engineering, and #11 in environmental engineering (Academic Analytics 2015 - published Dec. 2016)
- Top 10 Best School for Engineering Majors by Salary Potential – $78,400 median pay with 0-5 years of work experience (Payscale.com)
- #11 among graduate environmental engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report
- #15 among undergraduate environmental engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report
- #32 among graduate civil engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Pratt is listed among Top 10 Graduate Engineering Programs Popular with Women (U.S. News & World Report)
- Duke is #5 on Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education's College Rankings 2018
- Duke is #11 on Reuter's list of the 100 Most Innovative Universities in the World (Reuters.com)
Duke CEE: At a Glance
- 18 tenured and tenure-track faculty
- $8.3 million in new research awards, FY 2017
- 59 PhD students
- 10 Master's students
- 47 Undergraduate students
- 12 BSE degrees 2016 (May graduates only, CEE first major)
We provide a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate educational program that tracks and is enriched by our faculty's research in civil and environmental engineering.
We offer significant financial support for competitive applicants to our master's programs – typical scholarships range from $20,000-$30,000.
Our department offers Bachelor of Science degrees with majors in civil engineering (with study tracks in structural engineering or environmental engineering and water resource) and environmental engineering.
Undergraduate certificates are offered in architectural engineering, global development, and energy and the environment studies.
We offer a highly-ranked doctoral (PhD) program, a research- and practice-focused Master of Science (MS), and career-focused Master of Engineering (MEng) programs in civil engineering, environmental engineering, risk engineering and computational mechanics and scientific computing.
Our students are sought after for positions in industry, government, nonprofits and academia.
The Duke Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is an extraordinary team of faculty conducting research on topics such as the environmental effects of nanotechnology, engineered microbial systems, water resources, hydrometeorology, computational mechanics, geomechanical modeling and characterization and more.
CEE Faculty Participate in These Centers and Institutes:
- Center for the Environmental Implications of NanoTechnology (CEINT)
- Duke MEDx
- Duke Superfund Basic Research Center
- Integrative Bioinformatics for Investigating and Engineering Microbiomes (IBIEM)
- Partnership for International Research & Education (PIRE)
- Transatlantic Initiative for Nanotechnology and the Environment