Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor in Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Member of the Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Office Location: Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 668-9680
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2015
Research InterestsMachine learning, predictive modeling, health data science, statistical neuroscience
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 780: Internship
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Students Find Interdisciplinary Exploration and Connection in Winter Breakaway …
- David Carlson: Engineering and Machine Learning for Better Medicine (Jan 9, 201…
- David Carlson: Generating Scientific Understanding from Machine Learning (Aug 2…
- Jiang, Ziyang, Tongshu Zheng, Mike Bergin, and David Carlson. “Improving spatial variation of ground-level PM2.5 prediction with contrastive learning from satellite imagery.” Science of Remote Sensing 5 (June 2022): 100052–100052. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.srs.2022.100052.
- Mague, Stephen D., Austin Talbot, Cameron Blount, Kathryn K. Walder-Christensen, Lara J. Duffney, Elise Adamson, Alexandra L. Bey, et al. “Brain-wide electrical dynamics encode individual appetitive social behavior.” Neuron 110, no. 10 (May 18, 2022): 1728-1741.e7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2022.02.016.
- Bey, Alexandra L., Kathryn K. Walder-Christensen, Jack Goffinet, Elise Adamson, Noah Lanier, Stephen D. Mague, David Carlson, and Kafui Dzirasa. “6.28 Identifying Networks Underlying Sleep Disruption in Autism Spectrum Disorder Mouse Models.” In Journal of the American Academy of Child &Amp; Adolescent Psychiatry, 60:S167–S167. Elsevier BV, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2021.09.101.
- Dunn, Timothy W., Jesse D. Marshall, Kyle S. Severson, Diego E. Aldarondo, David G. C. Hildebrand, Selmaan N. Chettih, William L. Wang, et al. “Geometric deep learning enables 3D kinematic profiling across species and environments.” Nat Methods 18, no. 5 (May 2021): 564–73. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41592-021-01106-6.
- Zheng, T., M. Bergin, G. Wang, and D. Carlson. “Local PM2.5 hotspot detector at 300 m resolution: A random forest-convolutional neural network joint model jointly trained on satellite images and meteorology.” Remote Sensing 13, no. 7 (April 1, 2021). https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13071356.