Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Molecular epidemiology of environmental exposures
Pesticide exposure and Parkinson’s disease
Cyanobacteria harmful algal blooms and ALS
Predicting risk for pancreatic cancer
Cell and developmental biology
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: CIEMAS 2455, Durham, NC 27708
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University, 1992
Research InterestsSatterwhite studies the genomics and epigenetics of environmental exposures in populations with clear health disparity. Her group identified the first genomic signature for pesticide exposure and is developing simple blood tests to diagnose early stage asymptomatic neurodegenerative disease and cancer, including Parkinson's disease and pancreatic cancer.
- ENVIRON 391: Independent Study
In the News
- Mentored Research: Exposing Links Between Environmental Contaminants and Neurol…
- Data+ Project Researches Connection Between Type 2 Diabetes and Pancreatic Canc…
- Satterwhite leading Zebrafish Toxicity study (Jul 7, 2010 | Duke Biomedical Eng…
- Giroux, Nicholas S., Shengli Ding, Micah T. McClain, Thomas W. Burke, Elizabeth Petzold, Hong A. Chung, Grecia O. Rivera, et al. “Author Correction: Differential chromatin accessibility in peripheral blood mononuclear cells underlies COVID-19 disease severity prior to seroconversion.” Sci Rep 13, no. 1 (April 20, 2023): 6462. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-33323-8.
- Giroux, Nicholas S., Shengli Ding, Micah T. McClain, Thomas W. Burke, Elizabeth Petzold, Hong A. Chung, Grecia O. Rivera, et al. “Differential chromatin accessibility in peripheral blood mononuclear cells underlies COVID-19 disease severity prior to seroconversion.” Sci Rep 12, no. 1 (July 9, 2022): 11714. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-15668-8.
- Roitshtain, Darina, Lauren Wolbromsky, Evgeny Bal, Hayit Greenspan, Lisa L. Satterwhite, and Natan T. Shaked. “Quantitative phase microscopy spatial signatures of cancer cells.” Cytometry. Part A : The Journal of the International Society for Analytical Cytology 91, no. 5 (May 2017): 482–93. https://doi.org/10.1002/cyto.a.23100.
- Fernandez, Cristina E., Izundu C. Obi-onuoha, Charles S. Wallace, Lisa L. Satterwhite, George A. Truskey, and William M. Reichert. “Late-outgrowth endothelial progenitors from patients with coronary artery disease: endothelialization of confluent stromal cell layers.” Acta Biomaterialia 10, no. 2 (February 2014): 893–900. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2013.10.004.
- Shaked, N. T., Z. Zalevsky, and L. L. Satterwhite. “Biomedical Optical Phase Microscopy and Nanoscopy.” Biomedical Optical Phase Microscopy and Nanoscopy, August 26, 2013.