Nicholas Professor of Earth Systems ScienceWith his graduate students, Dr. Oren quantifies the components of water flux in forest ecosystems and the influence of biotic and abiotic factors on water and, due to strong links between carbon and water, on carbon flux. Climate variability, including variations in air temperature, vapor pressure deficit, incoming radiation and soil moisture, and environmental change, including elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide, affect the intra- and inter-annual patterns and amounts of water used by forest ecosystems, and its spatial distribution, as well as carbon uptake and sequestration. The variation of water flux influence the temporal and spatial partitioning of incoming radiation between latent and sensible heat. Using a local mass balance approach and detailed measurements of water flux and driving variables in the soil, plants, and the atmosphere, in forests from Brazil to Alaska, Dr. Oren evaluates the likely responses of different forest ecosystems to environmental change.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Nicholas Professor of Earth Systems Science
- Professor of Ecology
- Office Location: A246A Lev Sci Res Ctr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-8032
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Oregon State University, 1984
- M.S. Oregon State University, 1980
- B.S. Humboldt State University, 1978
global change ecology
forest management and silviculture
- ENVIRON 393: Research Independent Study
- ENVIRON 503: Forest Ecosystems
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects
- ENVIRON 898: Program Area Seminar
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project
- Kim, D; Oren, R; Clark, JS; Palmroth, S; Oishi, AC; McCarthy, HR; Maier, CA; Johnsen, K, Dynamics of soil CO2 efflux under varying atmospheric CO2 concentrations reveal dominance of slow processes., Global Change Biology, vol 23 no. 9 (2017), pp. 3501-3512 [10.1111/gcb.13713] [abs].
- Lim, H; Oren, R; Linder, S; From, F; Nordin, A; Fahlvik, N; Lundmark, T; Näsholm, T, Annual climate variation modifies nitrogen induced carbon accumulation of Pinus sylvestris forests., Ecological Applications, vol 27 no. 6 (2017), pp. 1838-1851 [10.1002/eap.1571] [abs].
- Way, DA; Stinziano, JR; Berghoff, H; Oren, R, How well do growing season dynamics of photosynthetic capacity correlate with leaf biochemistry and climate fluctuations?, Tree Physiology, vol 37 no. 7 (2017), pp. 879-888 [10.1093/treephys/tpx086] [abs].
- Metcalfe, DB; Ricciuto, D; Palmroth, S; Campbell, C; Hurry, V; Mao, J; Keel, SG; Linder, S; Shi, X; Näsholm, T; Ohlsson, KEA; Blackburn, M; Thornton, PE; Oren, R, Informing climate models with rapid chamber measurements of forest carbon uptake., Global Change Biology, vol 23 no. 5 (2017), pp. 2130-2139 [10.1111/gcb.13451] [abs].
- Franklin, O; Cambui, CA; Gruffman, L; Palmroth, S; Oren, R; Näsholm, T, The carbon bonus of organic nitrogen enhances nitrogen use efficiency of plants., Plant Cell & Environment, vol 40 no. 1 (2017), pp. 25-35 [10.1111/pce.12772] [abs].