Anderson-Rupp Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell.
Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Anderson-Rupp Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in Head & Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
- Professor of Mathematics
- Office Location: 309 Gross Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1922
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g., electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2007
- CEE 530: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- CEE 630: Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 524: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- ME 525: Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- Bunting, G; Miller, ST; Walsh, TF; Dohrmann, CR; Aquino, W, Novel strategies for modal-based structural material identification, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol 149 (2021) [10.1016/j.ymssp.2020.107295] [abs].
- Sanders, C; Norato, J; Walsh, T; Aquino, W, An error-in-constitutive equations strategy for topology optimization for frequency-domain dynamics, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol 372 (2020) [10.1016/j.cma.2020.113330] [abs].
- Ghavami Roudsari, SS; Babaniyi, O; Adabi, S; Rosen, DP; Alizad, A; Aquino, W; Fatemi, M, Ultrasound elastography using a regularized modified error in constitutive equations (MECE) approach: a comprehensive phantom study., Physics in Medicine and Biology (2020) [10.1088/1361-6560/abbf97] [abs].
- Calkins, L; Khodayi-Mehr, R; Aquino, W; Zavlanos, MM, Sensor Planning for Model-Based Acoustic Source Identification, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, vol 2020-July (2020), pp. 2679-2684 [10.23919/ACC45564.2020.9147971] [abs].
- Khodayi-Mehr, R; Aquino, W; Zavlanos, MM, Model-Based Active Source Identification in Complex Environments, Ieee Transactions on Robotics, vol 35 no. 3 (2019), pp. 633-652 [10.1109/TRO.2019.2894039] [abs].