Become a leader driving mitigation and adaptation solutions
The effects of climate change are impossible to ignore. But even armed with a science or engineering degree, the path to making an impact isn't a straight one. Impactful solutions require leaders who are comfortable working with uncertainty, evaluating risk, iterating a solution to better meet user needs, considering unintended consequences and anticipating future changes.
Duke’s Master of Engineering in Climate and Sustainability Engineering is designed to create such holistic leaders. The leader of this master's program is Sara Oliver, a Duke engineering graduate with deep industry experience.
Through our specialized curriculum, you will strengthen and grow your technical analysis and design skills as applied to dynamic, real-world climate change challenges. Our program builds expertise beyond traditional engineering subject matter, preparing professionals who are ready to implement nimble solutions for a rapidly changing landscape.
How This Degree With Accelerate Your Career
Graduates of this master's program will be ready to meet the growing demand for professionals with skills in energy transition, infrastructure adaptation and mitigation, sustainable materials and sustainable business.
You'll take courses on life cycle assessment and circular economy, climate finance, data and modeling, social equity and justice, the regulatory landscape and community engagement.
The Master of Engineering in Climate and Sustainability Engineering supports Duke's Climate Commitment by training students to develop and implement solutions efficiently, effectively and equitably.
Typically $20,000 to $30,000 for competitive students
Design & Implementation Curriculum
- Take High-Impact Courses
- Applied Climate Engineering
- Systems Engineering for Climate and Response Modeling
- The Materials Transition: From Linear to Circular Material Systems
- Risk and Resilience Engineering
- Energy Transition
- Choose a Specialization
- Design Climate
- Data Science
- Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Environmental Policy and Economics
- Project Development
- Customize Your Experience
Implementation Leadership Training
- Core Courses
- Management of High-Tech Industries
- Business Fundamentals for Engineers
- Internship and Project Assessment
- Workshop & Seminar Topics
- Leadership and teamwork
- Energy, Carbon, Water, Human Health and Nature-based Solutions
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Toward Global Climate Justice
- Career and Professional Development
Hands-On Experiential Learning
- Experience Implementing Designs
- Required Internship in Wide-Ranging Fields of Impact
- Access to Duke's Domestic & Global Professional Networks
- Graduate with a Project Portfolio to Show Potential Employers
The Duke Signature Student Experience
- Invested in your success: From before you apply to long after graduation
- Distinctive outcomes: 8 of 10 recent master's graduates started work or further education within 6 months of graduation
- Supportive student experience: Including 1:1 communications consultations and career coaching, as well as curated social activities
- Develop your sense of purpose: Join us on our mission to provide engineering in service to society
We look forward to hearing form you!