Become a creative engineer, inspired and equipped to make an impact
What does tomorrow’s engineer need to know? At Duke Civil & Environmental Engineering, we’ve thought hard about this question.
- #6 in the U.S. in environmental science & engineering—Academic Ranking of World Universities
- #10 national university—U.S.News & World Report
- Top 25 undergraduate civil engineering and environmental engineering programs—U.S.News & World Report
From your very first semester at Duke, our signature educational experience will immerse you in:
- Hands-on design
- Data science
At Duke CEE, we are preparing creative engineers who are inspired and equipped to solve complex societal problems.
Customize Your Degree
Two Accredited Majors
We offer two ABET-accredited bachelor of science degree programs:
Earn Undergrad and Master's Degrees in 5 Years
Earn your BSE and a master's degree in just five years through the 4+1: BSE+master's degree program.
Enhance Your Training with a Certificate
Our students can enhance their degrees with in-depth certificates in:
On top of all that, our students have flexibility to pursue additional majors and minors within other departments of the Pratt School of Engineering or within Duke's Trinity College of Arts and Sciences.
Click to see deadlines and application instructions:
Program Educational Objectives
The alumni of the CE and EnvE programs at Duke are expected to exhibit the following behaviors:
- Conceive, communicate, and contribute to effective and sustainable solutions to professional, multi-disciplinary challenges (in, for example, engineering design, project management, consulting, finance, and academia) by utilizing fundamental principles of mathematics, science, and engineering, and employing engineering methods and judgment as needed;
- Seek and engage in professional development, including advanced degrees and professional licensure, to enhance their capabilities and personal fulfillment;
- Be leaders in their professional and personal communities while responding ethically and boldly when confronted with modern societal and environmental challenges.