Become a creative engineer, inspired and equipped to make an impact
What does tomorrow’s engineer need to know? At Duke Civil & Environmental Engineering, we’ve thought hard about this question.
U.S. News & World Report:
- Top 25 undergraduate environmental engineering program (tie)
- Top 25 undergraduate civil engineering program (tie)
- Top 20 national university
From your very first semester at Duke, our signature educational experience will immerse you in:
- Hands-on design
- Data science
At Duke CEE, we are preparing creative engineers who are inspired and equipped to solve complex societal problems.
Customize Your Degree
Two Accredited Majors
We offer two ABET-accredited bachelor of science degree programs:
Earn Undergrad and Master's Degrees in 5 Years
Earn your BSE and a master's degree in just five years through the 4+1: BSE+master's degree program.
Enhance Your Training with a Certificate
Our students can enhance their degrees with in-depth certificates in:
On top of all that, our students have the flexibility to pursue additional majors and minors within other departments of the Pratt School of Engineering or within Duke's Trinity College of Arts and Sciences.
Explore Duke CEE
Program Educational Objectives
The alumni of the CE and EnvE programs at Duke are expected to exhibit the following behaviors:
- Conceive, communicate, and contribute to effective and sustainable solutions to professional, multi-disciplinary challenges (in, for example, engineering design, project management, consulting, finance, and academia) by utilizing fundamental principles of mathematics, science, and engineering, and employing engineering methods and judgment as needed;
- Seek and engage in professional development, including advanced degrees and professional licensure, to enhance their capabilities and personal fulfillment;
- Be leaders in their professional and personal communities while responding ethically and boldly when confronted with modern societal and environmental challenges.
Our students will have the following capabilities upon completion of their degrees:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies