Become a creative engineer, inspired and equipped to make an impact
What does tomorrow’s engineer need to know? At Duke Civil & Environmental Engineering, we’ve thought hard about this question.
- #12 national university—U.S.News & World Report
- #13 undergraduate environmental engineering program—U.S.News & World Report
- Nearly two-thirds of Duke Engineering undergrads participate in research with a faculty member—2020 senior exit survey
From your very first semester at Duke, our signature educational experience will immerse you in:
- Hands-on design
- Data science
At Duke CEE, we are preparing creative engineers who are inspired and equipped to solve complex societal problems.
Customize Your Degree
Two Accredited Majors
We offer two ABET-accredited bachelor of science degree programs:
Earn Undergrad and Master's Degrees in 5 Years
Earn your BSE and a master's degree in just five years through the 4+1: BSE+master's degree program.
Enhance Your Training with a Certificate
Our students can enhance their degrees with in-depth certificates in:
On top of all that, our students have flexibility to pursue additional majors and minors within other departments of the Pratt School of Engineering or within Duke's Trinity College of Arts and Sciences.
Click to see deadlines and application instructions:
Program Educational Objectives
The alumni of the CE and EnvE programs at Duke are expected to exhibit the following behaviors:
- Conceive, communicate, and contribute to effective and sustainable solutions to professional, multi-disciplinary challenges (in, for example, engineering design, project management, consulting, finance, and academia) by utilizing fundamental principles of mathematics, science, and engineering, and employing engineering methods and judgment as needed;
- Seek and engage in professional development, including advanced degrees and professional licensure, to enhance their capabilities and personal fulfillment;
- Be leaders in their professional and personal communities while responding ethically and boldly when confronted with modern societal and environmental challenges.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Our students will have the following capabilities upon completion of their degrees:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice