Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Christine Ogilvie Hendren is a Research Assistant Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Duke University, and the Executive Director of the Center for the Environmental Implications of NanoTechnology (CEINT), a multi-institute, interdisciplinary research center whose mission is to elucidate what governs nanomaterial behavior and impacts, and translate this understanding into directional guidance for responsible development. Dr. Hendren focuses on integrating knowledge across disciplines and institutions, and leads communities of practice in various team science arenas; she serves as the U.S. co-chair for the US-EU Nanomaterial Environment, Health and Safety Community of Research on Risk Assessment, and as co-chair of the National Cancer Informatics Program’s Nanotechnology Working Group. Her disciplinary domain focus is on methods, models and human processes to assess and manage trade-off decisions on environmental and health risks - particularly emerging and complex risks characterized by pervasive uncertainty. She is founder and chair of Intereach (Interdisciplinary Integration Research Careers Hub), a community of practice focused on identifying and developing intentional career paths and professional development resources for the people who shepherd and synthesize knowledge across boundaries to elevate the collective realized potential of research teams.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: 124 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5193
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2010
- ENERGY 395: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENERGY 396: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENERGY 795: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENERGY 796: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- Karcher, S; Willighagen, EL; Rumble, J; Ehrhart, F; Evelo, CT; Fritts, M; Gaheen, S; Harper, SL; Hoover, MD; Jeliazkova, N; Lewinski, N; Marchese Robinson, RL; Mills, KC; Mustad, AP; Thomas, DG; Tsiliki, G; Hendren, CO, Integration among databases and data sets to support productive nanotechnology: Challenges and recommendations, Nanoimpact, vol 9 (2018), pp. 85-101 [10.1016/j.impact.2017.11.002] [abs].
- Grieger, K; Bossa, N; Levis, JW; von Borries, KJF; Strader, P; Cuchiara, M; Hendren, CO; Hansen, SF; Jones, JL, Application and testing of risk screening tools for nanomaterial risk analysis, Environmental Science: Nano (2018) [10.1039/C8EN00518D] [abs].
- Rodrigues, SM; Demokritou, P; Dokoozlian, N; Hendren, CO; Karn, B; Mauter, MS; Sadik, OA; Safarpour, M; Unrine, JM; Viers, J; Welle, P; White, JC; Wiesner, MR; Lowry, GV, Nanotechnology for sustainable food production: promising opportunities and scientific challenges, Environmental Science: Nano, vol 4 no. 4 (2017), pp. 767-781 [10.1039/C6EN00573J] [abs].
- Hjorth, R; Holden, PA; Hansen, SF; Colman, BP; Grieger, K; Hendren, CO, The role of alternative testing strategies in environmental risk assessment of engineered nanomaterials, Environmental Science: Nano, vol 4 no. 2 (2017), pp. 292-301 [10.1039/C6EN00443A] [abs].
- Shatkin, JA; Ong, KJ; Beaudrie, C; Clippinger, AJ; Hendren, CO; Haber, LT; Hill, M; Holden, P; Kennedy, AJ; Kim, B; MacDonell, M; Powers, CM; Sharma, M; Sheremeta, L; Stone, V; Sultan, Y; Turley, A; White, RH, Advancing Risk Analysis for Nanoscale Materials: Report from an International Workshop on the Role of Alternative Testing Strategies for Advancement., Risk Analysis : an Official Publication of the Society for Risk Analysis, vol 36 no. 8 (2016), pp. 1520-1537 [10.1111/risa.12683] [abs].