Dana E Hunt
Associate Professor of Microbial Ecology
My research focus is on understanding the ecology of microbes through examination of their genes and lifestyles. Bacteria are the most diverse organisms on earth and play a pivotal role in planetary cycling of nutrients and energy. Yet, we have a poor understanding of the factors that drive their diversity and dynamics in the environment. The lab's emphasis is on studying bacterial interactions with the environment at the appropriate temporal and spatial scale including the effect of temperature changes on bacterial populations and bacterial interactions with other organisms. Another area of active research is the response and adaptation of bacteria to emerging pollutants such as antibiotics and nanoparticles.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Microbial Ecology
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: 135 Duke Marine Lab Rd, Beaufort, NC 28516
- Office Phone: (252) 504-7542
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008
- BIOLOGY 293A: Research Independent Study
- BIOLOGY 308A: Oceans in Human and Environmental Health
- BIOLOGY 309DA: Oceans in Human and Environmental Health
- BIOLOGY 319A: Coastal Watershed Science and Policy
- BIOLOGY 493A: Research Independent Study
- ENERGY 396-1: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENERGY 396: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENERGY 796-1: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENERGY 796: Connections in Energy: Interdisciplinary Team Projects
- ENVIRON 308A: Oceans in Human and Environmental Health
- ENVIRON 309DA: Oceans in Human and Environmental Health
- ENVIRON 321A: Coastal Watershed Science and Policy
- ENVIRON 393A: Research Independent Study
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects
- ENVIRON 729DA: Oceans in Human and Environmental Health
- ENVIRON 822A: Coastal Watershed and Policy
- ENVIRON 886A: Current Topics in Marine Conservation
- GLHLTH 308A: Oceans in Human and Environmental Health
- GLHLTH 309DA: Oceans in Human and Environmental Health
In the News
- Local Factors Cause Dramatic Spikes In Coastal Ocean Acidity (Dec 30, 2013)
- Xie, N; Hunt, DE; Johnson, ZI; He, Y; Wang, G, Annual Partitioning Patterns of Labyrinthulomycetes Protists Reveal Their Multifaceted Role in Marine Microbial Food Webs., Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol 87 no. 2 (2021) [10.1128/aem.01652-20] [abs].
- Wang, Z; Tsementzi, D; Williams, TC; Juarez, DL; Blinebry, SK; Garcia, NS; Sienkiewicz, BK; Konstantinidis, KT; Johnson, ZI; Hunt, DE, Environmental stability impacts the differential sensitivity of marine microbiomes to increases in temperature and acidity., The Isme Journal, vol 15 no. 1 (2021), pp. 19-28 [10.1038/s41396-020-00748-2] [abs].
- Loftus, SE; Hunt, DE; Johnson, ZI, Reused cultivation water from a self-inhibiting alga does not inhibit other algae but alters their microbiomes, Algal Research, vol 51 (2020) [10.1016/j.algal.2020.102067] [abs].
- Nayfach, S; Roux, S; Seshadri, R; Udwary, D; Varghese, N; Schulz, F; Wu, D; Paez-Espino, D; Chen, IM; Huntemann, M; Palaniappan, K; Ladau, J; Mukherjee, S; Reddy, TBK; Nielsen, T; Kirton, E; Faria, JP; Edirisinghe, JN; Henry, CS; Jungbluth, SP; Chivian, D; Dehal, P; Wood-Charlson, EM; Arkin, AP; Tringe, SG; Visel, A; Abreu, H; Acinas, SG; Allen, E; Allen, MA; Andersen, G; Anesio, AM; Attwood, G; Avila-Magaña, V; Badis, Y; Bailey, J; Baker, B; Baldrian, P; Barton, HA; Beck, DAC; Becraft, ED; Beller, HR; Beman, JM; Bernier-Latmani, R; Berry, TD; Bertagnolli, A; Bertilsson, S; Bhatnagar, JM; Bird, JT; Blumer-Schuette, SE; Bohannan, B; Borton, MA; Brady, A; Brawley, SH; Brodie, J; Brown, S; Brum, JR; Brune, A; Bryant, DA; Buchan, A; Buckley, DH; Buongiorno, J; Cadillo-Quiroz, H; Caffrey, SM; Campbell, AN; Campbell, B; Carr, S; Carroll, JL; Cary, SC; Cates, AM; Cattolico, RA; Cavicchioli, R; Chistoserdova, L; Coleman, ML; Constant, P; Conway, JM; Mac Cormack, WP; Crowe, S; Crump, B; Currie, C; Daly, R; Denef, V; Denman, SE; Desta, A; Dionisi, H; Dodsworth, J; Dombrowski, N; Donohue, T; Dopson, M; Driscoll, T; Dunfield, P; Dupont, CL; Dynarski, KA; Edgcomb, V; Edwards, EA; Elshahed, MS; Figueroa, I; Flood, B; Fortney, N; Fortunato, CS, A genomic catalog of Earth’s microbiomes, Nature Biotechnology (2020) [10.1038/s41587-020-0718-6] [abs].
- Wang, Z; Juarez, DL; Pan, J-F; Blinebry, SK; Gronniger, J; Clark, JS; Johnson, ZI; Hunt, DE, Microbial communities across nearshore to offshore coastal transects are primarily shaped by distance and temperature., Environmental Microbiology, vol 21 no. 10 (2019), pp. 3862-3872 [10.1111/1462-2920.14734] [abs].