Adjunct Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Massimo Germano was graduated in Physics at the University of Torino in 1965. In the same year he joined the Politecnico of Torino where he was finally appointed as Full Professor in Gasdynamics from 1981 to his retirement in 2012. His publications are devoted to many aspects of the fluid dynamics, they are mainly theoretical but always with a precise interest in the possible applications. Main results are the following. A system of orthogonal coordinates has been introduced in the study of the flow in helical pipes and more generally in pipes provided with a variable curvature and torsion of the central axis. This system of coordinates has been applied in many computations and it has contributed to clarify the effect of the curvature and the torsion on the axial and the secondary flows. In the field of turbulence modeling a new operational multiscale approach based on the generalized central moments and their properties has been produced. Principal application has been the dynamic procedure that significantly improves existing subgrid scale models for the Large Eddy Simulation of turbulent flows.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Email Address: email@example.com
- M.S. University of Turin (Italy), 1965
Turbulence in fluids and its representation. Multiscale decompositions of turbulent flows. The Navier-Stokes, the Large Eddy and the Reynolds equations. Reynolds modeling and subgrid scale modeling for the Large Eddy Simulation of turbulent flows. Hybrid RANS/LES modeling.
- Germano, M, Blending and nudging in fluid dynamics: Some simple observations, Fluid Dynamics Research, vol 49 no. 5 (2017) [10.1088/1873-7005/aa7bc3] [abs].
- Katul, GG; Banerjee, T; Cava, D; Germano, M; Porporato, A, Generalized logarithmic scaling for high-order moments of the longitudinal velocity component explained by the random sweeping decorrelation hypothesis, Physics of Fluids, vol 28 no. 9 (2016) [10.1063/1.4961963] [abs].
- Nini, M; Abbà, A; Germano, M; Restelli, M, Analysis of a hybrid RANS/LES model using RANS reconstruction, Springer Proceedings in Physics, vol 165 (2016), pp. 83-86 [10.1007/978-3-319-29130-7_15] [abs].
- Germano, M, The similarity subgrid stresses associated to the approximate Van Cittert deconvolutions, Physics of Fluids, vol 27 no. 3 (2015) [10.1063/1.4915620] [abs].
- Germano, M, On the Hybrid RANS-LES of Compressible Flows, Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design (2015), pp. 253-263 [10.1007/978-3-319-15141-0_20] [abs].